The Warsaw Police Department is offering a Citizen Academy to Warsaw residents who are interested in learning more about law enforcement operations and the Warsaw Police Department. Classes will start on October 6, 2016 at 6:00p.m.
The basic goal of the Citizen Academy is to improve law enforcement/community relations through a formalized educational process.
Our Academy will present a wide range of topical training subjects condensed from the standard training curriculum of police officers. By presenting this program, we hope to provide a broad educational experience which will acquaint attending citizens with the mission of police personnel and the requirements of law to which officers must conform while carrying out their prescribed duties.
I believe attendance and participation in the Academy will yield the following positive results:
· Citizens will be able to make more informed judgments about the Police Department and law enforcement activities.
· The Police Department will become more aware of the feelings and concerns of the community, as expressed by attending citizens.
· Citizens and Police representatives will have an opportunity to discuss and debunk some of the traditional suspicions and misconceptions generally harbored by both citizens and police officers. Through open discussion of such suspicions and misconceptions, a more harmonious climate for relationships may be established.
The Academy will consist of eight sessions meeting once a week, on Thursday evenings, from 6:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. and one Saturday sessions from approximately 9-1. Classes will be held at the Warsaw Wellness Center.
If you are interested in participating, please fill out the enclosed paperwork and return it to the Police Department.
Membership in the Warsaw Police Department Citizen Academy is open to all qualifying interested persons of the age of twenty-one (21) or older, who reside in the city limits of Warsaw Police Department’s one mile ETJ of the city limits, and who meet the following requirements:
1. Must not be convicted of a felony or serious misdemeanor or have received a prayer for judgment for those two types of crimes.
2. Must not have pending charges for a felony or serious misdemeanor.
3. Must not currently be a defendant in an active civil action.
4. Must not be a current or former member of any criminal gang or organization that advocates the overthrow of any local, state or federal government.
5. Must pass a background investigation.
6. Must sign a Waiver and Release
7. Any omissions or misrepresentation on this application will result in your application NOT being approved.
Participants MUST meet all of the attendance requirements.
Deadline: Return applications no later than September 20, 2016 to:
Warsaw Police Deparment
PO Box 464
Warsaw, NC 28398
Attention: Chief Eric Southerland
You can contribute to the betterment of the Police Department and the Community by taking part in the Academy. I hope you will consider it.
Chief of Police